Monday, January 4, 2010

Day 57 (1/1/10): Kerouac & Caffeine

I woke up to a blanket of powder covering my New York City streets, and somewhere out there was a sea of pie-eyed romantics using it as a euphemism for the blank slate of the year to come. I carry the believe that there is no blank slate. You don’t start over, you plow through and try and forget. I took a nice long walk around Midtown, and went to a Starbucks to do break into Big Sur. I stole a spot in a comfy chair and dove in. After about an hour I had developed a series of high-school esque, look-stealing exchanges with a girl I later learned to be named Marisa.  She asked me what I was reading and I pointed to the cover.

“Cute”, she fired. And then I looked at her. She was the king of girl who wore tights and a summer dress on a chilly winter day. She had elaborate jewlery and was reading  Dickens.  I asked her what she was reading, just to be polite. We spent an hour talking about the books we were reading, giving each other recommendations. I told her that she was dangerously distracting. She apologized and told me that she’d go to another coffee shop. I told her to not be ridiculous, I’d leave. We wound up both leaving, and going to a little bistro a few blocks over that she was aware of. She told me that no self-respecting individual goes to Starbucks and chats up a stranger, bistros were acceptable though.

So, we slung our messenger bags on and walked a few blocks. I told her it was a good thing I enjoy coffee as a hangover remedy, and last night was New Years after all.  She got a little jittery around cup 2 at the new place, so I bought her a scone and some tea…decaf tea. She playfully touched my arm and asked me if I wanted to grab a drink sometime…other than the coffee we were drinking. I told her I would love to, but I actually had to get going at that point in time. She gave me her number and texted me while I was on the Subway ride home, just to say, ‘Dangerously distracting”.

[Via http://100girls100days.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment